My short story ‘Incubator’ will be reprinted in Autonomy: a book about taking ourselves back in order to raise funds for the Repeal of the 8th amendment to the Irish constitution (referendum on May 25th 2018).
What is bodily autonomy?
What does it feel like when it’s taken away?
Autonomy is a women-led collection of creative writing published by New Binary Press. Proceeds from sales of the book will go to the Together for Yes campaign to repeal the 8th Amendment.
Editor and Chair of Cork Together for Yes Kathy D’Arcy said, ‘The evidence is of course there that the 8th amendment is cruel and unworkable, and has led to untold suffering since 1983. When members of the Joint Oireachtas Committee were given the time to really study the evidence and listen to different perspectives, they voted overwhelmingly in favour of removing the 8th amendment from the Constitution. I believe that anyone who still has doubts will be able to come to a place of compassion and understanding if they, too, take the time to really look at that information, which is available at oireachtas.ie. But sometimes stories about real human experiences have the power to change people’s hearts and to make them understand where even hard evidence fails. If you still wonder if it’s alright to force someone to stay pregnant against their will, please read the stories in this book with an open heart. It’s time to stand up for our women. I’m very grateful to New Binary Press for their ongoing support of this project and the Together for Yes campaign.’
Autonomy will be launched around the country (and further afield!) on the following dates:
- Key Books, Quay Co-op, April 6th 6pm
- English Department Social Area, O’ Rahilly Building, UCC April 19th 5pm
- Books Upstairs April 13th 6pm
- Hannah Sheehy Skeffington Builiding, UCD April 26th 5.30pm
- Art and Autonomy Conference, Irish World Academy of Music and Dance Building, UL April 20th, time tbc
- The Book Centre April 27th 5pm
- The Black Gate May 5th 6.30pm
- Belfast Book Festival June 8th 6pm
- Etcetera Theatre April 7th 7.30pm
- Sydney: tbc May 1st 7pm
- Newcastle, New South Wales: tbc May 13th 2pm
Follow @AutonomyKDArcy for more information, or get in touch to organise a launch event.
Order Autonomy online at http://newbinarypress.com/product/autonomy/
Donate to the Together for Yes campaign at https://www.togetherforyes.ie/donate/